The EHF launched today the process for nominating and voting of athletes onto the newly established EHF Athletes Committee.
Speaking at the launch, EHF President, Marijke Fleuren said » Following the launch of our Strategic Plan in 2016, and in line with our values of being Inclusive, Positive, Accountable and Dynamic we feel that establishing an Athletes Committee not only incorporates these values but also goes towards achieving our goals, in particular raising the level of professionalism for our staff, our volunteers, and our athletes through education, development and good governance.
This Committee will be unique in our structure as the athletes will be voted onto this Committee by their fellow athletes during the upcoming Senior and Junior Championships during this summer.
It is an exciting time in the history of the European Hockey Federation as we open the possibility for our current, or recently retired athletes to become decision makers within our Federation.
We are sure that this will be a wonderfully positive experience for the European hockey family as we face into a summer of nominations, then voting and finally bringing this Committee together during 2018. »
She outlined the aims of the Committee:
- To represent the views of the Athletes within the EHF, protect their interests and uphold their rights and obligations;
- To serve as the link between active Athletes and the EHF;
- To provide current and past international Athletes the opportunity to contribute to the continuous development and involvement in the growth of the sport of hockey;
- To raise awareness and educate Athletes on topics of direct concern.
National Associations can only nominate one candidate to stand for election.
To be eligible for election for the Committee, any candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Be over 18 years old;
- Have not incurred any measure or sanction in relation of any violation of the World Anti-Doping or Anti-Corruption Codes and must not have been banned from the game;
- Be able to communicate effectively in English;
- Be current or former international Athletes who last played international hockey no longer than 4 years before the date of their nomination;
The nomination procedure is as follows:
- The Athlete should complete the Nomination Form by clicking the below link by 9th June 2017
Athletes Committee Nomination Form
- The Athlete should attach a letter to the Nomination Form, written by the nominating National Association confirming support. (more details have been sent to the National Associations)
- Nominations will be announced on 12th June 2017
The Athletes Committee shall be composed of:
- A Committee Chair – appointed by the EHF Executive Board
- A member of the FIH Athletes Panel
- 4 ordinary Committee Members (including the above FIH Athletes Panel member)
- A Committee Liaison (EHF staff member, to be announced)
The Election at the EuroHockey Junior & Senior Championships (men and women):
Each Athlete participating at the EuroHockey Junior & Senior Championships (I-IV) and the EuroHockey Junior Championships (I-III) will have a vote.
The election shall be held at the tournament venue and/or any other venue such as determined by the EHF. A designated space shall be provided and communicated to all participating Athletes.
Full details have been sent to all National Associations, or you can contact Jane Brennan, firstname.lastname@example.org